Boston Scientific, a medical device manufacturer based in Natick, Massachusetts, announced that it received CE Mark approval from the European Union for its Promus Premier. The Promus Premier is one of the company’s newest drug-eluting stents.
According to a press release by the company, Boston Scientific plans to immediately launch the Promus Premier for sale in Europe. The company states that the device is the only one in its class with a platinum-chromium chassis. The device also includes a specialized delivery system and an everolimus coating.
The device is designed to treat coronary heart disease. Patients with coronary heart disease have narrow blood vessels that can impact the body’s ability to deliver critical nutrients and oxygen. According to information from the European Society of Cardiology, coronary heart disease causes an estimated 1.8 deaths every year in Europe. By placing a stent in a patient’s artery, physicians can improve a patient’s blood flow and reduce the risk of heart attack.
Kevin Ballinger is the president of interventional cardiology at Boston Scientific. In prepared remarks, he said, "The Promus Premier stent system is the latest example of our unparalleled pipeline of drug-eluting stent technologies and reflects our commitment to global DES market leadership." He continued, "We are proud that our research, clinical, regulatory and manufacturing teams delivered the next advance in stent technology in an expedited time."
- Additive Manufacturing 101: How the Future of Product Development and Manufacturing is Changing - Video
- Microfluidics—A Powerful Technology for Diagnostic and Medical Product Development - Video
- Going Beyond Colour Matching . - Video
- Metal Injection Molding(MIM) for Precision metal components manufacturing - Supplier Resource
- Usage Temperatures of Piezoceramic Materials - Supplier Resource
- Breaking the Rules – Design Ideation and Innovation - Supplier Resource