Covidien, a medical device manufacturer based in Ireland, announced the launch of a new antihypertensive device. The company’s OneShot Renal Denervation System is a specialized over-the-wire balloon-based irrigated catheter system for managing hypertension.
According to a press release by the company, the OneShot Renal Denervation System is designed to deliver RF energy to a patient’s renal arterial wall. Each artery requires only one treatment with the technology. In February of last year, the OneShot device received CE Mark clearance in the European Union. The device is currently undergoing clinical trial evaluations in New Zealand and parts of Europe. Over the next year, the company plans to expand its commercialization efforts into Africa, the Middle East, Asia and parts of Latin America.
According to information from the company, hypertension impacts an estimated one billion people around the world. Over time, untreated hypertension can cause damage to the walls of a patient's veins and arteries. In addition, hypertension can increase an individual’s risk of heart attack, kidney disease, stroke and many other serious health conditions.
Stacy Enxing Seng is the president of Covidien’s vascular therapies division. In prepared remarks, she said, “Hypertension is the most common cardiovascular disease.” She continued, “The entry into this market broadens our innovation focus and enables Covidien to positively impact the lives of millions of patients worldwide who are resistant to medical management of hypertension.”
- TRAKETCH® Vent - Supplier Resource
- Can Your Contractor Really Support Your Product's Full Lifecycle? - Supplier Resource
- What’s the Point? Meeting Evolving Challenges in Consumer-Driven Healthcare - Webcast
- Linearity Measurements for MEMS Pressure Sensors - Supplier Resource
- Dual Die Compensation for MEMS Pressure Sensors - Supplier Resource
- Special Considerations for Mounting and Handling Pressure Sensors - Supplier Resource