Royal Philips Electronics, a healthcare products company based in the Netherlands, announced a new personal emergency response system (PER) at the 2013 Consumer Electronics Show, an annual trade show based in Las Vegas, Nevada.
According to a press release by the company, the Philips LifeLine GoSafe PER offers fall detection technology and a variety of locating systems to improve assistance response times after an accident. In addition, the device provides cellular voice communication between users and emergency service providers.
The GoSafe system is enclosed in a small waterproof device. The device can be worn around the neck and has a simple, one-click emergency button. Since some falls may prevent an individual from pressing the button, the device also includes accelerometers that sense an individual’s body movement. If the device detects rapid body movement consistent with a fall, the device will automatically contact emergency services. In addition, the device includes seven separate technologies that can be used to locate an individual in the event of an emergency. The device also provides an estimated seven-day battery life.
Rob Goudswaard is the senior director of Philips Home Monitoring’s product and service programs division. In prepared remarks, he said, “Philips Lifeline’s legacy is built around helping seniors age with grace and independence.” He continued, “Our intention is that GoSafe will provide users with the confidence to get back to activities or go to places they have scaled back on, knowing that help is easily accessible.”
- Additive Manufacturing 101: How the Future of Product Development and Manufacturing is Changing - Video
- Electron Beam & Laser Welding--New Developments in Machine Design and Applications - Video
- Microfluidics—A Powerful Technology for Diagnostic and Medical Product Development - Video
- Going Beyond Colour Matching . - Video
- Metal Injection Molding(MIM) for Precision metal components manufacturing - Supplier Resource
- Usage Temperatures of Piezoceramic Materials - Supplier Resource