Biotronik, a medical device manufacturer based in Germany, received mixed reviews from researchers for its Dreams absorbable drug-eluting stent. Early findings at the company showed positive results for the novel absorbable metal stent, but some researchers feel that the device has limited efficacy.
According to an article published in the Lancet, a British medical journal, the device isn’t up to par with some of its rivals. In the article, researchers wrote that “further iterations of the device will need to be designed to improve efficacy.”
In its clinical trial, the Dreams absorbable metal stent was proven safe 12 months after insertion. Of the 46 patients with coronary artery lesions, none experienced death or scaffold-related thrombotic events following surgery. While lesion failure rates at six months were similar to other drug-eluting stents on the market, results fell short when compared to a bioabsorbable stent by Abbott. Abbott's stent is coated with a different type of drug.
In May of 2012, Biotronik unveiled the 12-month results for its first-in-man clinical trial of the Biosolve stent system. One-year results from the study showed that targeted vessels were able to regain some of their natural physiology within six months of the initial treatment.
Alain Aimonetti is the vascular intervention marketing and sales VP at Biotronik. In remarks prepared at the time, he said, "These positive 1-year results confirm that we are working in the right direction." He continued, "We see huge potential for Dreams since it combines deployment and post-dilatation properties and long-term outcomes comparable to DES with the additional benefits of vascular restoration therapy."
- Additive Manufacturing 101: How the Future of Product Development and Manufacturing is Changing - Video
- Microfluidics—A Powerful Technology for Diagnostic and Medical Product Development - Video
- Going Beyond Colour Matching . - Video
- Metal Injection Molding(MIM) for Precision metal components manufacturing - Supplier Resource
- Usage Temperatures of Piezoceramic Materials - Supplier Resource
- Breaking the Rules – Design Ideation and Innovation - Supplier Resource