Menomonee Falls, WI – The Journal of Industrial Textiles has published the results of a study conducted by Texas Tech University and Enercon Industries that determined when spunbonded polypropylene nonwoven fabrics are pre-treated with atmospheric plasma it increases the breathability of the fabric.
Atmospheric plasma treatment increases the number of pores and enlarges the pore size of the fabric improving the diffusion of vapor between the filaments in the spunbond structurewithout compromising the barrier properties. These properties are significant within medical industry when developing disposable medical clothing, such as surgical masks, gowns and drapes.
One of the most demanded properties of barrier fabrics for medical applications is the developments of a low cost non-woven material that is breathable, sterilizable, flexible, and resistant to blood and viral penetration.
Enercon’s Plasma3™ is an in-line, dry and continuous surface treatment process for web application. Its treatment techniques provide a fast, efficient and eco-friendly breathability effect on nonwoven/textile surfaces.
Dr. Seshadri Ramkumar's group in the Nonwovens & Advanced Materials Laboratory and colleagues in the Departments of Chemistry and Biochemistry and Mechanical Engineering, Texas Tech University collaborated with Enercon to explore environmental friendly ways to enhance the breathability of nonwoven synthetic fabrics.
To view the full article visit the Journal of Industrial Textiles (Volume 42 No 4),http://jit.sagepub.com/content/42/4/501.Those interested in scheduling an atmospheric plasma lab trial may contact Rory Wolf directly at 1-262 255-6070.
Enercon Industries Corporation, headquartered in Menomonee Falls, WI, is a major manufacturer of equipment for the plastics, converting and packaging industries. The company supplies custom built corona treaters and atmospheric plasma treating systems, as well as induction sealing systems.
- Choosing the Right System Software for Medical Devices - Webcast
- Autocam Medical Case Studies - Supplier Resource
- Prevent Inventory Shortages - Consider Material Lead Times - Supplier Resource
- GT-9AC - Guidewire Grinding System - Supplier Resource
- Cable Design, Engineering and Manufacturing - Highly reliable design and manufacturing of cable harnessing solutions, for performance in harsh environments - Supplier Resource
- Complete Product Lifecycle Management - for Today and Tomorrow - Supplier Resource